Oct 4, 2008

Yard Sales and Marriage



Today was a great day of liquidating. I decided on a whim I would have a yard sale. Because this is my 3rd yard sale this season I didn't have a ton of stuff to liquidate, but my in-luvs [aka in- laws] always do. They enjoy going to auctions and yard sales. They have a gift when it comes to getting some deals which they turn around and gain profit. They bring a trailer full of furniture and other great attractions that draw a crowd. As for me, I had 3 goals in mind:

1. declutter (I promise you if I declutter much more I will be sitting in an empty house. I am the opposite of a pack rat which means I am uuuuuuhhh...I can't think of a word)

2. make money (I just want a nice Fall door wreath. Is that too much to ask?)

3. eat ribs (Tom's dad brought his smoker and slow smoked some ribs. Collis is "the man" when it comes to smokin' some grub)

I am proud to say all 3 goals were attained with a bonus I might add. The hubby and I got a chance to sharpen our vows as Wil and Mags got a chance to keep grandma and papa young by staying overnight! Trey stayed with mom at home. With 3 kids, we both are very aware of our need to date [each other of course]. Proverbs 29:18 says "Where there is no vision the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." And I think it is fair to say "where there is no date night, the marital passion perishes; but he that dateth their spouse, happy is she (or he)" Well thats my take on it anyway. Thankfully I have been awakened by the fact that keeping my marriage fresh should be a priority for me. And plus I love having QT with Tommy. There is no other who can compete for my attention!! When the kids are away, there is no question where I wanna be. Tonight we had a Starbucks date. Uninterrupted conversation makes for a great date. And even though I didn't come home with a Fall wreath, I come home with a renewed spirit and an even better marriage. I love you, Tom. Thanks for making our marriage top priority. Funny I didn't mean to tie my marriage into yard sales. I never know what direction my blogs will go.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I like your take on that proverb. So, I guess that makes it Biblical to have a date night. :-) Those nights are much needed...only I got the stomach bug on our last night alone (but it was good that the kids weren't home for it). We've gotta have a make-up date. Swinging a sitter isn't always easy and hiring one really isn't. Please, God, I need a date!

Tommy Archer said...

Hey Misty! I just loved the post! I read your blog all the time! Your my favorite booger (oops blogger) in the whole blogosphere.

Mike Archer said...

misty, did you log in as tommy and leave that comment?

Misty said...

you know me too well, mike

H.T. said...

Hey Misty, I just tagged you! Check my blog for the information.