Oct 9, 2008

Petting Zoo II

First a heads up. I'm allowing myself 15 minutes to do this blog so if it ends with a incomplete thought its most likely because my time ran out. So as Ross Taylor would say, "I'm just tellin' ya."











Several posts ago I spoke about a home school field trip to the petting zoo in Paragould. There was not a ton of kicks and giggles involved with the first petting zoo trip. We decided to try it again and this time bring daddy along. We went to the ASU petting zoo as a part of our home school group. It is perplexing how daddy can do the same things as me but when he does it, it suddenly becomes the coolest thing ever. I guess daddies are just geared that way just as daddy can't kiss a boo boo away quite like momma (although Wil wants daddy to do EVERYTHING). We first arrived alone and of course it was all black and white but the minute I said "daddy is here" even the pigs started to dance. I became chopped liver and only there to take pictures. That is one thing God set in mommas' hearts is to hold onto memories any way we can (scrap booking, pictures, and such), Seriously it is as old as the Bible. Remember when the shepherds come to see Jesus and retold their account of how they heard the news of the birth of Jesus. What did Mary do ladies? She pondered them in her heart. And if it weren't for me, their would be no visual memories of our children. So I am good for some things. OK I have 10 minutes left.

I have actually read that even from infancy when daddy walks into the room, the baby's heart rate will increase significantly. I think I read that in Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson. If I knew how to handle hyperlinks, I would make one for this book. Unfortunately I do not. I have a autographed copy if you would like to borrow it though.
At least once a day my kids will request for me to do some fun thing daddy does with them. And after I put all I have into it I will be shot down with a comment like, "you're not doing it right" Maggie actually cries real tears when I get it wrong. For instance there is a wall we pass on the way to church when we take the short cut alongside the old mall. The wall separates the car dealership and the mall. Anyway Tom chants something as we pass this particular wall and my kids laugh and eat it up. On several occasions I have tried to play this part when Tom is not in the car with us. What does Mags do? You got it. She burst into tears because I don't use the same voice fluctuation. Now you wonder why I go to such exorbitant means to prove a point. I just want to say how important the small things are to our kids. I can guarantee you that the "wall story" and many others will be talked about at Thanksgiving dinners for years to come.
The wrestling times are a hoot at our house. The other day at dinner Tommy played a game with us and we had a blast. You might want to try it. He got a wooden spoon and spun it in the middle of the table. Whoever it landed on had to answer a question like, "what is your favorite thing to eat" or "if you could go anywhere right now, where would it be". We may not have money to buy our kids all they desire or even half of their desires, but who cares right? Our children need more of us. We live in a time when parenting magazines recommend trying to commit 10 minutes a day with each child and scheduling one Saturday a month as family day. That's not okay to me. Our children don't need nintendos, computers, after school activities, ballet lessons, play groups and soccor practice nearly as much as they need US. They need fathers who sit and listen to their days, mothers who join in and make crafts with them, parents who take the time to read them stories and act like idiots with them. They deserve to help us make supper even though it takes twice as long and makes twice as much work (I have learned to make myself do this one cuz I wanna do it without hassle). They deserve to know that they're a priority for us and that we truly love to be with them. I am so thankful to the ladies in my life who have taught me this by example because it is so easy to be focused on my to-do list. We as parents just need to be with them and love them and be goofy with them. Daddies are the best at the goofy part but that's they way it is suppose to be in my opinion. I am thankful because I'm only funny on accident! Well time is up. I added a video and if you call our house at about 4pm, this is what you'll hear. Its a tribute to dads doing their thing... only this one ends on a sour note.
Notice Trey in the backgound. He is so oblivious to the chaos. It cracks me up. Note: I have noticed that many pictures I have posted which show my living room looks as if I never clean it. I don't know what to say except I promise it doesn't always look that way or maybe it does.



3 comments:

Mike Archer said...

i need to teach maggie how to properly apply the figure 4 leg lock.

Misty said...

please do because she is struggling with the wrestling matches

James Hewitt said...

totally Tommys fault that Maggie got hurt.