Oct 12, 2008

Lessons from To Kill A Mockingbird


Lately I have had a craving for some literary classics. I love reading and if you are a lover of books, there are just some books that one must read. I started with To Kill A Mockingbird and just finished Part I of it. I don't know if it is just because I get so caught up in books, but it is drawing so many emotions out of me. When I read a book, I start to see my world through the eyes of the characters. This morning at breakfast I referred to Wil as Jem [a character in TKAMB) because something Wil said reminded me of him...which Tommy goes, "huh?". Obviously I get very caught up in the story. This particular book I read in Mrs Cupp's 11th grade English class. But there are just some things that most young people can't appreciate until they are older like classic literature and history and really just learning in general. That was me and this being true causes me to look back on high school with and label it as precious time wasted.


Books just aren't written with the same morals in mind(and I'm not speaking of religion) as the Classics. Don't get me wrong. Scout Finch's mouth sends forth some unpleasant language but Atticus, her daddy stands up against her on it with such grace. Speaking of Atticus. His character in the book one might label as a prude. I for one think prudence is to be admired. C.S Lewis goes as far as to refer to prudence as a cardinal virtue. But when you hear someone call another a "prude", it is most always in a negative sense. Prudence is exercising sound judgement in practical matters. It means you are cautious in conduct and not rash. In To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus is just this. If you remember the story, the one thing you remember is that Atticus [a lawyer in the small town of Maycomb, Alabama] is greatly condemned for defending a black man named Tom Robinson [in 1933]. The town calls him and his children awful names and are atrocious in their behavior toward Atticus and his children.


Last night after I had already made several comments about Atticus. I told my friend Rachel how I wish I could be more like him. To that she replied, "Misty, remember he is fictional." She is right, but I would go as far to say this:) God is using this book to teach me about a few of my many character flaws. Michael our pastor spoke about character verses reputation just the other Sunday. And Atticus (of TKAMB) is a fine illustration of Michael's point. He said "reputation is what others think about you and character is what God thinks about you." In the story Atticus ruins his reputation with the people and I believe honors God with his character. Atticus tells his daughter who is distraught over what is going on with her father that "he would not be able to go to church and worship God if he did not defend this man" He knows what counts the most with people is NOT what counts the most with God. I get way too caught up in the opinions of man. "What will they say if I stand for this Truth or I will lose relationships if I chose to walk this path (for the LORD)." Let us not confuse "right" with "politically correct"!! Let me just end by saying To Kill A Mockingbird is chocked-full of great lessons.

1 comment:

H.T. said...

What an intellectually inspired thought. And you've let the enemy beat you up about being a good homeschooler?! You're kiddos are going to do great with their education!