Oct 7, 2008

A Self-Portrait

This week with Wil and Mags we are discussing how God looks NOT at the outward appearance of man but rather He looks and is very concerned about the heart. The is an abstract idea for my preschooler and even my kindergartner but still I try to give it to them in small doses and use "Misty-creative" ways (this means creative by the skin of my teeth). Activity One: I had them draw a self-portrait while looking in the mirror.

They usually have fun with art. This time was no different. Then I was ready to bring home the spiritual truth of "pretty is means pretty does". This was a saying given to me by my mammaw when I was little and got a little out of line. I had them dictate to me what God loves to see in our hearts. In other words I said, "How is it that God wants us to act?" I then stapled there answers behind their self-portrait to illustrate looking on the inside of a person to see what is there.


Here were their answers (word for word including pronunciation) to what God saw in their hearts starting with Wil:


1. Skin


2. Nothing. I don't have anything else


Yes my sentiments exactly...my son is a little confused. With Wil, you can't go on and on trying to explain something to him because he gets farther and farther away from the point. Had I tried to work with him I'm sure his response would have eventually been something like, I think God sees pickles in my heart.


Here were Maggie's answers to What does God want to see in your heart?


1. act very good


2. share toys with each other


3. if your mom says pick up toys, you pick up em' (word for word may I remind you)


4. if your mom says load up in the car, we have to go (can you tell what issues we have to address often)


5. do somethangs (yes thangs) that my mom says to do


6. if your goin' to cheerleader practice, I have to go (this response comes from a deep desire to be a cheerleader)


Now I was puzzled that Mags got the concept and Wil didn't. Remember I mentioned in a recent blog that Maggie said a couple months ago, "Jesus, will you come live in my heart?" during our devotion time one morning. The morning she prayed this we discussed some things and I can't say to you that she didn't know what she was saying because she seemed confident but I kept coming back to the fact that she is 3 years old.


Wil on the other hand says firmly that he has NOT asked Jesus into his heart because he doesn't want to go to heaven. Why? He wants to stay with momma and daddy he says. In a small way our lesson with the self-portrait reminded me that the message of the cross is foolishness to those who don't know Him but then again no one will ever accuse me of being a great teacher. What is my peace in home schooling? Not me but He who lives in me. When I am weak He is strong and God's Truth will be revealed to my kids if I'm obedient to live it out and seek the LORD when my son says that "skin" is what Jesus wants to see in our hearts.




2 comments:

Misty said...

you don't give yourself enough credit. i, personally, think that was a very creative idea. and what i say means a lot. :)

Amanda said...

That was a very cute (and important)lesson. Keep posting those ideas...I'm gonna need them!