Oct 18, 2008

Eagle Football


Who loves high school football? I love it probably because many of my most fun times involved football Friday night. From the 7th grade until I graduated, my Fall Friday nights were spent cheering for football. I loved cheerleading and really loved cheering for football. Unfortunately I have only gotten to return to a GCT Eagle football game a few times in the 12 years that I have been out of school. We took the kids and went this Friday night.

My main reason for going Friday was their new coach, Jeff Conaway. This is his first year and rumor has it that his new offensive philosophy is working very well for the Eagles. From the stands I could feel the excitement. It was a huge crowd and from what I hear Jeff has already taken the program to a greater level. Even at the away games, dedicated fans fill the bleachers. That says something about the morale of this years football Eagles!! I have known Jeff for many years. His sister and I were close friends in school. I spent a lot of time with her family. He became like a brother to me. Jeff has always had a good head on this shoulders. He is a very smart young man and a good athlete himself. I really think Jeff has the potential to take the Tech football program to new heights.

All of this is well and good but the most impressive thing is that Jeff loves the LORD Jesus and he has kept it no secret that he wants to be more than a coach to these young boys. He wants to be a light for Jesus. Under his leadership these young boys have the privilege of learning much more than how to throw a football or run a play. I believe they will graduate with a greater sense of purpose knowing that life is to be lived in light of their Creator. This will make them better men, better employees, better husbands, and better dads. Jeff's transparent walk with the LORD has already caused one of his players to come to know Jesus as LORD and Savior. That is awesome.

One cool memory that came back to me as I watched the game. I did say I cheered for football but I didn't say I understood it so excuse me if I get the terms wrong. Anyway. Crossroad's own Charlton Cupp was Eagle's starting quarterback my first year as a Sr high cheerleader. I don't remember details but I'm pretty sure it was Charlton. We were down with little time left. We were at the goal line. The play started and all I saw was Charlton diving over the player what seemed like 10 ft toward the end zone for a touchdown that won us a game. Cool huh.

Crossroads is just full of betcha- didn't- know facts.

3 comments:

Mike Archer said...

i was working at monroe and listened to friday night football games on my headset radio (no, i wasn't supposed to be doing that) and heard cupp's name many times. it was, of course, before i knew him.

H.T. said...

That is so neat, I didn't know Jeff was coaching at GCT. I bet Becky & their family is loving that! I just have to add, Becky Stallings is one the sweetest people on the earth. What a blessing for all of them.

Anonymous said...

As Moix would say...Good times, good times.