Oct 16, 2008

What's My Cross Today?

My morning began with a question.
"What is my cross today, LORD?"
During my quiet time I read Luke 9:23-27 in which Jesus says to His disciples:
If any of you wants to be My follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.
Two things jumped out at me. One is Him saying to turn from your selfish ways. Ouch!! Doesn't the LORD know us so well. The second thing is when He said we must take up our cross daily. Tommy spoke very well the other Sunday when he said that we must be obedient in the simple things first. I may not suffer at the hands of monstrous persecution daily, but you can be that daily there will be times when my flesh wants to go another way or do another thing than that of God's will.
Who knows what the day holds for me? It most likely will be a normal day, but even the most menial of task can be God glorifying. In what ways? Let me share some common occurrences with you.

Momma, Maggie hit me.

Crash. "What was that?" Wil, why were you climbing on the arm of the chair? My one and only vase is broken now (the other day he knocked its twin off the fireplace mantle and it shattered).

I run in the other room because I hear Trey choking. "Maggie stop picking Trey up by his neck. For the last time he will not fit in your baby doll stroller."

And my newest dealing is with Maggie. Maggie really is a good girl. She is just curious and strong willed just like her daddy. Screaming is Mags' new coping mechanism. Be it at Wil or just because she can't get her baby doll's shoe on right. She gets this from me. I don't scream but when I can't get something to work I get so frustrated. I keep saying to her: Maggie, you gotta have self-control. Calm down and let your reaction be gentle. I then have to tell her that I too have to ask Jesus for help when I get frustrated with things. I love the quizzical look that is returned to me.

I love being home with my children. And I am in 100% agreement with God that my purpose lies at home nurturing my children and loving my husband. With this comes trying days and even tears of inadequacy. I don't want to carry the cross of disciplining them (for the 20th time in a day) or serving Tommy when I myself just want to be served! But its my joy to honor God in all I do.

If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. Luke 9:24

The cool thing is giving my life to Jesus is not a loss. It is not a burden even. Is it hard sometimes? Sure it is. Do I question His direction at times? I do. But I never stay there long because I am met with peace knowing His will and ways are perfect.

So what is your cross today? May the LORD lead you to it and may you joyfully take it up.

2 comments:

H.T. said...

Love this post! It is definitely about setting ourselves aside and trusting God. He blesses selflessness, not the other way around! I have to remind myself often to "seek first the Kingdom, Holly, seek first the Kingdom". I got so cracked up when I read the choking dialogue! Trey is bound to be a tough little dude!

Amanda said...

Great post!

Addie's a screamer. I think I've conditioned her to that being that she is the youngest. For so long, Mason has been getting into trouble for every little battle between them. Addie has learned if she screams loudly and makes a bigger deal of the situation than it is, then she expects that I will get onto Mason. I'm working on ignoring it until she can speak calmly to me. It gets tough...and loud.