Jul 30, 2008

A Lesson From The Wise: Kick the Bucket


Here you see a picture of a sad attempt to grow tomatoes in a bucket. I was so excited when my father in law brought this to me. He sent it home with me and gave me a quick lesson on how to care for it. I realize that it is no Archerhill but I digress. Tomatoes are my favorite of the garden fresh veggies.

Knowing how quick I get frustrated when trying something new, Tommy highly discouraged me from planting a garden of my own. Although I jokingly complain, he is wise in that decision. I am soooo not a gardener. I can kill any plant or flower no matter how low maintence it is.

I would visit Collis and Betty [my in-laws] and their bucket tomatoes seemed to be thriving, even producing some good-sized tomatoes. NOT MINE! At first I thought it was just my gardening skills or lack thereof.

Get to the point, Misty. My father-in-law is not only a great gardner but he is a wise man. He loves the LORD and is always finding ways to make a spiritual point using God's creation. He'll say "I got a sermon" from this or that. This past Sunday we were over at their house. It gave me great comfort when he told me that he had found the problem in the tomato plant bucket[his stopped thriving too]. He said the roots weren't able to go deep enough for the plant to thrive.

He said just like our walk with the LORD stops thriving when our roots aren't allowed to go deep enough. Isn't that good truth....Collis is awesome!! If we don't allow are roots to grow deep into God's Word, we fail to live according to His ways, and we fail to bear much fruit. We talk, act, think like the world. We are called to be a light, to be different from the world. Lets kick the bucket and let our roots settle into the Truth of God's Word so that we can do what we were created to do....glorify our Father in heaven!!

3 comments:

H.T. said...

I hope I am always choosing to "kick the bucket" in my spiritual garden, rather than waiting until I'm forced to! Love this post & love the wisdom from mature Believers!

Amanda said...

I have tried that bucket thing too. Jeremy and I like to garden, but halfway through the summer, the weeds win the battle. So, the bucket sounded like a good way to cut out weeding a garden. Ours didn't work either. I had a little more luck with the cherry tomatoes. But, then I had trouble watering them often enough because the bucket dries out so fast. I'm secretly jealous of Archerhills. :-)

James Hewitt said...

I hate to wreck a good analogy, but we have a tomato plant in a bucket about 1/2 that size, and it did great. We have gotten a tone of tomatoes off of it. I like the whole root thing though.