Jul 24, 2008

A Jolting Reminder


Sometimes God gently reminds us of His promises and sometimes we are jolted into remembrance. Today was one of jolting.

I had just been to the library with all 3 kids. That, my friends, is a challenge. Ask my friend Rachel Moix. She was there. I had to drag Wil out, Maggie had just purposely knocked the library pet (Hermit crabs) right off the counter (which our luck will not survive and all the kids will want to beat Maggie up), and Trey was wanting out of his stroller where he had been strapped in for the past hour. So we finally get home and everyone is very hungry. I start getting Trey's ready first while Wil and Maggie fight over the 2 cheese crackers they found in the floor. I sit down, start to feed Trey his carrots, and he is salivating profusely. He is teething so I didn't think much about it and started to feed him his carrots. Here comes the jolt. Trey starts frailing his arms in panic and can't get his breath. He has such a look of struggle in his eyes. I do a classic finger sweep just as he vomits up a whole cough drop wrapper. All moms know what could have happened! Even after the fact he is wheezing and crying. My heart is pounding as I'm praising Jesus for His rescue and dialing the number to register in the next Red Cross CPR class (i'm serious)!!


How often the mind of a mom strays to turmultuous places because of personal doubts and fears concerning their children. This has certainly been a real spiritual battle in my life as a mom of 3 young ones. All of the what if(s) can be overwhelming at the end of the day. We want to shelter and protect our precious ones from harm and long for them to remain safe and healthy in the walls of our protective care. I forget that this matter is not one in which I can ultimately control as much as I would like to think so. Rather we have to entrust the One whose love is greater and much more sufficient than we could ever imagine. The Word says that Jesus left us His peace. This peace that God left us through Jesus Christ never expires. It can be used in every situation of our lives.


His Word is the source of this peace and His Word should lead us as parents in raising and nurturing our little "rewards". So when those days of worry as a mom weigh heavy upon you, call out to Him. Our Jehovah-shalom (The Lord is peace) will be right there waiting!!

4 comments:

H.T. said...

Amen. I'm glad Trey's O.K. Did Wil & Maggie get enough to eat? Ha! See ya Sunday!

James Hewitt said...

I'm glad the little guy is OK, but just so you know, the finger sweep is out. They found that most of the time you just end up pushing it down the kids throat more then it already was.

Michele said...

How scary! Alexis choked on food more than any kid I've ever know in my life so I know how scary that can be! So glad that he's ok!

Amanda said...

That IS scary! We had a choking incident with Addie at 3 months old. She had terrible reflux and got choked one night and turned blue on us. Two nights in the hospital later, we were home with an apnea monitor for 3 months. That darn thing went off every night just because she would wiggle out of the straps. It was crazy.

I am now a CPR instructor! James is right about the finger sweep, but it's every mother's instinct.

Glad Trey's okay!