Jul 21, 2008

The 23rd Psalm

I decided to take the Michael Archer approach and experiment with a video blog. If you are close family or friends of Tommy and me, you have heard Maggie recite the 23rd Psalm. Wil on the other will not do it because he isn't the people person that Magster is. But you give him a challenge and he is on it like a bad tatoo on James Hewitt (i am sooooo kidding). So if you can't understand him it is because I told him I wanted to see how fast he could say it.....so competitive my son is....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!

Tom and I are big on teaching our kids to memorize God's Word. Of course we are proud of them when they accomplish a verse or a catechism but it is absolutely meaningless if it doesn't eventually make its way to the heart! God calls us in Deuteronomy to teach our children about His Word and His ways when we lie down and when we awake and when we walk along the road. Basically we are to always be on the lookout for ways to teach them God's Word. Still this can be harmful. Yes you heard me right. Now this is the way I see it. If you teach them to memorize scripture and send them to Awanas and church camp and don't live it out in front of them, it can be very damaging to their faith. Our kids are watching us and I'm sure you can tell me story after story of the way you have seen your child mock you unknowingly. Sometimes it is funny and sometimes I just want to duck my head in shame. I want Wil and Mags and Trey to say that Jesus was so much apart of their family growing up that they felt like He was another member of the family sitting at the dinner table with them. That is a tall order and man how many times I have grieved God by acting in a way I should not have in front of my kiddos. I just pray that His grace will carry Tom and me as we teach them His Word and teach them what it means to live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. This is one of the biggest passions God has set in my heart.

One day when Wil or Maggie comes upon a trial in their life I pray that they will have this Psalm in their heart to sustain them. For that to happen, it starts with me and Tom!

4 comments:

H.T. said...

Misty, you & Tommy are awesome parents! I am so thankful there are so many others choosing to fight the good fight and training their children to do the same! There is no doubt that God will bless your efforts! You're great!

Misty said...

Can you deliver tissues with that please.....how precious!!

Stacy said...

Thanks for bloggin' from your heart.

Mike Archer said...

Wil you rock!!! Catechism...good word Misty.