Aug 7, 2008

Thank You Chapman Family

This was not the blog entry that I intended on making. As I sat down at my computer, Larry King Live came on with the Chapman family. As you probably know, Steven Curtis Chapman's 5 yr old daughter was run over in the family driveway by her 17 year old brother.
They seemed very nervous (probably cuz of the fear of their faith being raked over the coals by Mr King). He asked some hard questions...ones that I could never ask and wonder if they should be asked like "how did the accident happen?" and then asking Will (the older brother) "could this have been prevented?" Talking to Larry King from where I sat on the other side of the television set I said "What are you thinking asking those insensitive questions?" But the Chapman's answered them politely and with such courage. And I am telling you as they sat in that interview [and it is still going on as I sit here...I'm typing this between commercials] I could sense the LORD's arms around them as they spoke each word. God did not send them through this fire alone. He is soooo obviously right along side them. The Chapman family is enduring the greatest fear of many families. I keep thinking "they are taking one for the team" and what I mean by that is that watching them deal with this strengthens my faith, it causes praise in my heart, it causes me to be overcome with compassion, it reminds of the uncertainity of life, it reminds me to number my days, andI know that multitudes of people feel the same way. I have never met the Chapman's and Ive never even been to one of his concerts but they feel like family to me as I watch them enduring this tragedy for God's glory. I wish my memory could retain all the AMAZING GOD GLORIFYING comments the Chapman's spoke. One thing Mary Beth (the mom) said at the very end: "in the darkest moments when they had went as far down as they could go, maybe not even had landed on their feet" she said "the foundation in those moments was still solid". That foundation is Jesus Christ crucified who left us with hope. He will never leave us or forsake us.

I had just shared with my dear friend Rachel about how lately I have been really battling Satan as I lay in my bed at night. My mind takes me to horrible places....like what if this happens to my kids or my husband. It has kept me up several nights in the past few weeks. The only thing that gives my peace [great peace] is the LORD God almighty, the Sovereign One. He gives and takes away but His love is unfailing!!! And like Mr Chapman's new song says "we are Yours God" And as for Misty Archer, I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I missed that interview. I want to find it online. This is a great post. I have those fears, too. They can really rob me of joy. That's when I pray...hard!

Last night I was getting in that place since Jeremy was gone on the camping trip. I don't like being home alone with the kids overnight. I feel so vulnerable when Jeremy isn't there to "protect" us. I started praying as soon as my head hit the pillow. I asked God for peace and safety. The next thing I knew, it was morning and I had slept very well.

God will be there for us...no matter what happens. I know you know all this, but I just had to say it. See you tomorrow!