Aug 18, 2008

Little Hearts For His Glory

Today was our first day of school at home. We began our kindergarten curriculum with Wil [and Maggie kind of plays along] though she is not at all far behind big brother. We are hoping to use the same curriculum with them as long as we home school.
Tom took me to breakfast early this morning which started me off on a happy note. I got home and fed them breakfast, watched Handy Manny, did chores, and then began. We started off with Bible/Devotions. From the get-go Wil asked "how many pages do we have to read?". Yikes thought Misty. Somewhere in the devotion we got on the subject of Heaven and how we get to Heaven. This is a conversation we've had hundreds of times but this time Wil starts to cry. My theory is that he is starting to process all the little things we've taught him and its a bit confusing to him.
First he asked me "Do I have to die on the cross?"
Squaring this one away he says "I don't want to believe in Jesus because I don't want to go to Heaven because I want to stay here with you"

The conversation continues and I know that I could have done a much better job than I did. Hopefully God spoke through my clumsy words. In the moment, I felt like I needed to get him to a point of complete understanding. Afterwards I realized he is 5 yrs and the big picture will come but it will take many more of these moments. For now my kids need only to know how very much Jesus loves them!! I myself am one to want immediate answers from the LORD but HE knows just how much or how little my finite mind needs to know. He knows the big plan. My part is to seek Him for the details.

Our school day got progressively better. I enjoy watching them learn. It can be a real hoot too! Here are some pics of our day.





Praise and Worship Time: They love to groove to Steve Green's Hide em' In Your Heart cd (introduced to me by Mrs Dana Hewitt). Green's cds are scripture set to catchy music.


















Storytime: Adventures of Reddy Fox
Check out Wil's footwear. One of my reasons for homeschooling: anything goes in fashion










Phonics: This was my favorite part and Wil's too. He concentrates better when he sucks his thumb...I'm tryin' I really am (to rid this habit)
This was our day! All I can ask is that my efforts were pleasing to the LORD!

6 comments:

Mike Archer said...

Don't feel bad about the thumb sucking...Marinda had her 1st day and realized she has a 6th grade boy that sucks his thumb.

Misty said...

oh please don't let that be Wil!!!

James Hewitt said...

I was just glad to see you wearing a Lakers T.

H.T. said...

May God bless you with the wisdom and direction you need to be a success at homeschooling. I think it is great! Love the worship time picture!

Amanda said...

Sounds like you had a good first day! You are going to be great at this!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you for taking on this venture! How awesome it will be for you! I know you will do an awesome job of leading your kiddos.