Jan 31, 2009

No Complaints Here

This was crazy wasn't it folks. You would think we were completely dependent on electricity. Actually what I found out about myself is that I am most certainly a whimp without my electricity. You won't hear me singing Beyonce's Survivor song. I joke, but it really concerns me that I could get to my wits end so quickly. We were quite untroubled compared to most people. We lost power early Wednesday morning...about 1 am to be exact. We were without all Wednesday, stayed at the church on Wednesday night, and by the time we got back home that morning we were back on. Unlike some who got theirs back only to lose it again, ours stayed on. And here I sit blogging away while many many people are still "in the dark". My prayers seriously go out to them. It wears on you especially if you have small children.
The kids did great including Trey. I'm trying to think, but I don't believe they complained once. Again, though, we had our lights back on in 36 hours. And as we speak Tommy is sitting in the Fed Ex Forum watching the Lakers play the Griz so no one can complain in the Archer home.
I love the way something like this will open the benevolent part of us. A big thank you to Holly who let my kids come bathe and to Michael for letting us stay at the church so that Trey could have an actual baby bed and Rachel who I know is always praying for me. The heroes in this are those that have worked tirelessly for 12 to 14 hours to unite thousands to their electricity. It is easy to get frustrated, but we have no idea the work that is STILL going on to get towns up and running again.
Where I took the biggest hit was naptime. This is how easy we had it. Anyway Tommy calls me the Sleep Nazi because my kids have always had their naps right on schedule from the time they were born. This is not an exaggeration ither!! Now we all know a nap is no nap at all without a fan and a white noise machine. Yes I have a white noise machine...Tom aggravates me and says "oh, yes, it creates an unpenetrative sound barrier" Well anyway this is what I missed the most! What about you? What one thing did you long for while you were without power?
On a serious note, keep your prayers flowing for those who have greatly been affected by this...some we know even lost their lives. This post was very light hearted and meant to show that no matter how hard we think we have it, someone has it worse. Let us keep a thankful heart in all things.

3 comments:

Misty said...

we didn't have it bad either. my mom and dad had a generator, so our suffering was shortlived.

Beverly said...

We were w/o power for most of Tuesday night, but have had it back for the most part since then. My husband works for PLWC, and has been out working what seems like nonstop this week. They are trying to get everyone back up and running!

Amanda said...

I miss my refrigerator and my hair dryer! I am getting by just fine though with thanks to my Mom and Dad for letting us use their electricity. I hear you on the naptime...and I myself sleep with a sound machine :-)