Feb 2, 2009

I'm So Proud


I have heard in the home school circle that when your child graduates, you graduate too. I can totally get that. Back in August I started teaching Wilson to read. Thankfully I had a book (How To Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons) and it is awesome because it gives you a script. In other words, it told me exactly what to say. A fact about me is that I don't mind being bossed around as long as it is for a good cause.

Last Monday just before the ice hit, Wil finished his 100th lesson. That night he spent the night with Uncle Mike and Sissy. This was his pick for a reward. By the time he got home on Tuesday it was starting to get bad. The rest of the week left little opportunity to venture out into the actual book reading world. So I was excited about getting started this week to see if Wil could actually read on a second grade level which is suppose to be true when you finish the 100 easy lessons book. Sure enough he did pretty well. Now he isn't speed reading or anything, but my little kindergarten boy can read a book to me. As he was reading this book to me, I had to fight back tears. I was so proud of him. And proud of me because I taught him.

I know as a home school mom you would think confidence in your ability to school your child should be a must. That is not entirely true. My confidence is in the One who called me to do this. I just trust and obey. So many times I get questioned as to why I am doing this (sometimes I ask the same thing)...homeschooling that is. God has given us many many reasons, but my answer is usually I do it because I know it is what God wants for our family at this time. I taught Wil to read by God's grace (and the book) and I will continue to teach them by God' s grace. When I am weak, He is strong.

Reading is the key to learning. If reading is mastered, then the sky is the limit. Now it is Maggie girl's turn. Oh my. I sweat thinking about it. No really, Maggie already reads to me. She'll pick a book at the library, memorize it word for word, and read it back to me. A child's ability to memorize amazes me. Thanks for letting me dote on my child.

5 comments:

H.T. said...

Congratulations Wil! Misty, you're an awesome Mom!

Misty said...

I agree! Reading is the foundation of it all! Way to go!

Amanda said...

We finished Lesson 19 today! That gives me goosebumps to think of where Mason will be in a few months. Great work! I like what you said about "my confidence is in the One who called me to do this." So true! A lot of people say "I could never do that." but really I am not especially talented. I'm just trusting the Lord.

Beverly said...

Yay, Wil!!! So proud of you!!!
(And I'm proud of you, Misty!)

Unknown said...

Way to go! That is very exciting! You ahave every right to be proud! You are a great momma Misty!