Feb 9, 2009

When Tommy Met Misty

WARNING: If you don't do mushy, don't read this blog entry [or the next 5]!

In honor of Valentines Day, I will be celebrating the love between me and my mate with this blog for the rest of the week. It has been over 9 years since I first met Tom, but I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with someone like him. I know that sounds cliche, but is so true.

Tom and I met at church. He was serving in the children's department teaching. Without knowing Tommy served there (honestly I didn't) , I felt led to try out teaching in the children's department as well. This is where I got to know him. He was impressive in many ways. I couldn't help be drawn to him. Tommy is super friendly and rises to the occassion when meeting new people. He really took the time to talk with me and was very helpful to introduce me to the in's and out's of the children's ministry. I fell pretty quickly for him. The part that I regret is that I probably let him know it way too fast.

At this time, I had surrendered my life to the LORD and was so hungry to do His will. Tom told me later that he had just found contentment with being single. He had come to terms, if you will, with being single. He said very soon afterwards, he met me. Our friendship eventually turned into more and before I knew it we are sitting at Houston's in Memphis having our first date. Our relationship was so easy and God seemed to be in it and all around it. We dated 6 months. And then on November 23rd 1999, he proposed in front of our entire college and career group at church. He pretended that he was going to do a game. He brings 15 or so people up front and begins to eliminate different groups of people (i.e. if you have on shorts, sit down; if you have red hair sit down; and so on). Finally he said "If your name is not Misty Lynn Wilson, sit down". He then got down on one knee and made me the happiest girl ever!! It was a dream.

We were married on April 8, 2000. Tommy Archer is my hero. Not only do I love him because he is my husband. I love him because of the man he is. At least once a day, I tell him how wonderful he is. If you don't believe me, ask him. For the rest of the week, I will confess a few of the reasons why.
Song of Solomon 4:3 has always been our verse. It is even engraved on his wedding band.
"I have found the one who my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go"

Tommy, you are the sweetest thing next to God in my life and "I could not ask for more!"

6 comments:

Tommy Archer said...

Thank you sweetie!! You are the greatest!!

Tommy Archer said...

By the way I read your blog all the time. It is my favorite.

Misty said...

Sweet story!

Nancy said...

I love mushy! I can't wait to read the next one :). It is such a blessing to read about marriages that are not just surviving, but thriving!

Lesley said...

Waiting patiently for the next one. I love getting to the know the history of a relationship.

Amanda said...

Neat proposal! I'm waiting for Part II.