Sep 5, 2008

The Petting Zoo

This morning we visited the petting zoo. I laugh as I say petting zoo because it was nothing more than what we see on a weekly basis at Tommy's parents but nonetheless it was a break in our day and a zoology lesson. The thing I am picking up on is that homeschooling doesn't just mean school at home. It means school home and abroad...the zoo, the fair, the grocery store, the gas station, the doctor, outdoors, etc. Everyday is a field trip-ha. The LORD is gently showing me how He is a part of every school subject we take on from math to handwriting. One of the Archer's home school philosophies is "get a life and let your kids in on it". Actually the two brothers of Joshua Harris (I Kissed Dating Goodbye) introduced this concept to us as they were on Family Life recently. They and their brother Joshua were home schooled. Neat boys. They have written a book called Do Hard Things. And after Jake Moix finishes reading it (Rachel has made it required reading for him--Go Rach) I can't wait to read it. I love learning right along with Wil. I know you say "he is in kindergarten so what possibly could you be learning that you don't already know". It is sad isn't it but you'd be surprised how little I do know. Raise your hand if you know about my geographical learning disability. Yes I can't get out on the bypass in my own hometown without a map. But the first week Wil had to memorize the continents and I'm proud to say I know all 7....impressive huh? Up until 2 weeks ago I would have said China was a continent.


The petting zoo wasn't much to write home about. My kids were actually scared to hold the baby duckling and Mags got spooked the first 5 minutes after I come unglued when she stuck her fingers in her mouth (you know her lovely habit) after holding the baby duck. They did get to feed the baby calf and hear the pigs oink. Their favorite part was that grandma Betty joined us and they got to spend time with her.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I can see you jumping to stop her fingers from getting in her mouth! I would be freaked out too. Maybe you should put a GPS on your Christmas list???

H.T. said...

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the day, and the weather-AWESOME! I love this time of year!!! A part of me definitely misses being at home with Ross. You know we would've loved having a field trip day with you guys at the petting zoo! I would've been responsible for bringing travel size clorox wipes.

Beverly said...

So you wanna borrow Grandpa? LOL. Funny, a lot of people have told me that! I have wonderful in-laws and have been so blessed by them.

We didn't make it to the petting zoo. The kids have been really wanting to go to the zoo, though, so we'll probably be doing that sometime soon. :) It's so true that school is more than just sitting in a "classroom" and doing workbooks! We see people, like at Walmart, and they say, "Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Sometimes I just smile and say, "We ARE in school!" :)