Sep 15, 2008

Co-op Day

OMG. Those are the first three words/letters that come to mind as I reflect on our first day of Co-op (aka Monday school). Every Monday my kids along with countless other homeschoolers get together at Walnut Street Baptist Church and have Monday school. This does not take the place of curriculum that we do at home. It only enhances it. Wil goes to three classes and Mags has one class. It last from 12:30-3:30 and everyone kept remarking that it would be a crazy first day for me. My thoughts were....well I can't tell you my thoughts because I have none. My thoughts have taken off for the night. Hopefully they will return after a good nights sleep.
I taught p.e. for 4 and 5 year olds. That is where the OMG comes in. There were 2 other classes of third and fourth graders in the same gym. I had socks for bean bags and absolutely no idea how to capture the attention of all these precious pre-k(ers). Tommy was suppose to come help me when he finished his mail route. Supposedly he had more mail to put away when he returned to the office. That was his story anyway. All I know is that he walked in just as I was sending my second and last group back to their original classrooms.
It was very exhausting and as I left I wondered how important Monday school was that I would need to come every week. Thankfully I had the ride home to clear my mind. I thought about the new people that I met and how neat it was to have such a support group in CHE. Already being a part of this group has given me much encouragement.
This call the LORD has given both Tom and myself to home school has been very clear. God called us to home school before Wilson was even a twinkle in our eyes. It was Tommy that shared it with me 8 years ago and up until about 2 years ago I was resistant, but now I too know it is the direction to go for now. I love it, but there have been countless times I have asked God "are you sure because I feel so very inadequate?" but every time I get the same answer- "My grace is sufficient and My power is made perfect in your (and Tom's) weakness"
This summer the LORD gave me a verse which was Psalm 90:12 Number your days aright so that you may gain a heart of wisdom. This verse allowed me to be very productive. Otherwise left to my own agenda I would have been here, there, and everywhere. A few weeks ago I started to pray that He would give me a verse that I could carry with me this fall. And how awesome He was to provide one that already has lifted my head on several occasions. It is Galatians 6:4-5 Each one should test his own actions then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. My God knows how hard I am on myself (why can't I be smarter, funnier, more creative, more eloquent, have more common sense, wink with both eyes, sew a button on a shirt...obviously I could go on and on) and how easily I can second guess my direction whether it is parenting or homeschooling techniques or even sometimes my worldview. People are opinionated and sometimes are so eager to tell you all the reasons why their way is the right way. Don't get me wrong when I am passionate about something I have to be careful that I too don't come across in an evasive way. So many verses come to mind that remind us how God and His Word has got to be our sole guide in this life. Remember it is living and active, sharper than a double edge sword and useful for teaching and leading us in all areas of life. We cannot get caught up in what society tells us about how to live life. NO MA'AM. NO SIR!! Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all (not some but all) your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths Proverbs 3:5-6
My husband has been a great mentor to me. He is a passionate guy and has strong views but you would be hard pressed to find one of his views that he could not back up with the Word of God. He has taught me to seek the LORD and His Word so that no man would be able sway me from the Word of God! My daily prayer is that God's glory be my main focus. Oh how I miss the mark but glory to God His mercies are new every morning.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

First of all, let me say THANK YOU for teaching the little ones' PE class. I am assuming that my youngest was in your class, but I'm not 100% sure that he was. But I value all of his teachers because I know it is a tough job sometimes! I helped in one of the pre-K classes last spring and I always left feeling exhausted!

I understand how overwhelming the first day can be! It will get better as you get used to everyone and everything. By Christmas you'll be an old pro! :)

I'm glad you guys have joined the group! I look forward to getting to know you better!

Amanda said...

Don't feel bad you can't wink with both eyes, I think that's genetic. :-)

Thanks for the Galations verse. My soul needed that reminder today.