Aug 5, 2010

Give Em' Jesus

Tonight I was reading in the Word. I came across a verse that I could not get out of my mind. It is
Acts 3:6 But Peter said, "I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene-walk!"
"I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you" is what I keep turning over and over in my head. Here Peter heals a man from being crippled, but more importantly he gives the man a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. We know the man becomes a believer because in verse 8 & 9 it says that he began to walk, leap, and praise God. This man gained exceedingly more than his ability to walk again. He gained eternal life which comes with hope, peace, joy, AND A RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS.
Lately a change has taken place in me. I have started to love people. Now I've never been a hater of people, but I certainly have not been attentive like I should to the hurting. God has opened my eyes wide to see that LIFE IS NOT ABOUT ME!! Its not about my wants and needs and plans. The truth about me is that I love comfort. Take me to Wynne camping and I melt down emotionally. It's sad I tell you. I gravitate toward safety! Plus I like all my clan to be right under my wing as I enjoy the air conditioning and a nice glass of iced tea. But somehow God has worked His way into my heart with His grace and truth. I am beginning to see that I was meant for so much more. I was meant to reach out like Peter and offer the hurting the saving power of Jesus Christ. Why would I not want to give that away?
We started our first week of school this week at home. My focus for the year is on training my kids [and myself] to be attentive to the needs of others. It has been neat to see God open doors so that Wil, Maggie, and Trey can practice loving others. The cool thing is that they love to reach out to people whether it be a visit to the sick, a bottle of water for the thirsty, or a card for the mail lady. They get excited about it. It is what Jesus calls "faith like a child". If we don't teach our children to be attentive to the needs of others, they will gravitate toward themselves. Until lately I have not been faithful like I should to help them love people...most importantly people that are different from them. As we get older, we grow cold toward the needs of others. I know I have, but praise God He doesn't leave us in our self-centered state. If we will reach out to Him, He will open our eyes to a world that desperately needs His touch.
II Corinthians 5:15 says He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.
Father LORD, may we be a light to this world, a city on a hill that cannot be hidden. Let our lives shine out so that people will want You and praise You.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You are not alone in this! The fear of opening ourselves up to the needs of others is exactly what keeps us from the blessings of loving them. I need daily reminders to deny myself.

It sounds like this is going to be a memorable school year! I'll be praying!