Feb 16, 2010

Gentleness

Well I sure didn't think I would be posting so soon but the LORD was quick to reprove me as I seek His wisdom in parenting. This reproof is one that the LORD speaks to me quite regularly, but now it He seems to be saying to me, "Enough is enough. I want this taken seriously now." With this strong rebuke, came His faithful Word lovingly encouraging me to take action. This is my issue: I do not use gentleness in my words as I train my kids in character and as I confront their bad behavior. My voice is too stern and my volume is too loud when I get frustrated with their bickering or selfishness. I don't scream or even yell but there is little or no gentleness in my correction. I despise this about myself. The more stress I have, the longer my to-do list, my mood, my lack of exercise, and the more we have to stay cooped up with this winter weather....all of this [and more] affects my tone with my children. I expect immediate obedience from them and the daily allowance of grace I give them is far less than anyone including myself could operate out of. But I'm ready. I'm ready to have the LORD train me in gentleness. The first place He begins is His Word. Without His Word, my friends, we are lost in the wilderness without a compass to guide us.



I Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.
This is the promise we have that we can overcome our struggles. He has called us to a life of obedience.




Let me start by giving you this scripture: I Cor 2:10-12 But it was to us that God revealed these things by His Spirit. For His Spirit searches out everything and shows us God's deep secrets. No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit. And we have received God's Spirit (not the world's spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us."


From this we understand that apart from the Holy Spirit's work in our lives, I will be forever bound by this struggle (lack of patience and gentleness). But as a child of God I can overcome this struggle with His power and His Word....its called freedom in Christ. Freedom in Christ means we are free from the choke hold of sin!! Praise God.

Even if now I do not see the affect my tone is having with my children, God is very clear we must keep our speech in check!!

Matthew 12:36 "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement."

Jesus is very clear! He says every careless word will be judged! I am reminded of a song we have all heard, "oh be careful little mouth what you say, oh be careful little mouth what you say, oh be careful little mouth what you say...because there is a Father up above who is loving down with love so be careful little mouth what you say". Another thing I am reminded of is that this does not only pertain to words we speak to our children. It applies to the words we speak to our husbands, friends, co-workers, and yes my dear sisters, our enemies....."every careless word".

So how do I begin fighting this battle? I fight on my knees in prayer and I fight it with the Word of God. I must commit my ways to the LORD (Proverbs 16:3). Proverbs is full of wisdom on the matter of the tongue. What I am seeing again and again is that my tone needs to be gentle or I need to remain silent.

Prov 15:1 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare." (You wanna see your temper escalate, then speak with harshness, but it you want to put out the fire of anger then speak gently)
Proverbs 15:4 "Gentle words are a tree of life."
Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey-sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."

So this is my first order of business and I am thrilled that I serve a LORD who refuses to leave me alone in my struggles. He has called me to be a light for my children and to teach them His ways. Just as He is gentle and patient with me daily, I must extend that same grace to my wonderful children who I adore.

"Heavenly Father, strengthen these feeble arms of mine to do your will. Let Your grace, love, and mercy flow through us moms today as we nurture our children. Set a passion deep within us to train our children in the paths of righteousness and to love them with Your love. Keep our tone in check. Give us the strength and self-control to walk in the Spirit in the midst of challenges with our children and with all people we encounter. And let it all be done in Your name and for Your glory. In Jesus name, Amen."

Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."




1 comment:

The Timmons Gang said...

Thank you Misty. You could not have spoken these words at any better time. You are a precious person and I thank God for sending you into my life.